Friday, May 4, 2007

I'm All Booked Out!

I spent all day today working on the website adding books and changing the web page layout for the Books & CDs page. I added a separate page for the different instruments and for songbooks. There were just too many titles to list everything on a single page. It is 10:30 p.m. and I am still here, even though we officially closed at 7:00 p.m. I did have a bit of a break, though, when Leslie and Steve came by for a little while. I stopped the computer stuff for a couple of hours and we had a nice visit and some fun singing and picking. I made the decision to get at least a few books listed on every page of the Books & CDs sections, but I still have many more books to add. At least it's a start! Indulge me a bit, and take a look at www.thebluegrassshack.com/books.html.

Yesterday evening, it was crazy around here. We had five teachers teaching at once, and people coming out of the woodwork. It was actually kind of fun to have everyone here! James stopped by with his banjo, so towards the end of the evening after lessons, we all jammed for 15-20 minutes. James is better every time I hear him. Bev, Justin and Jenny had a long ride ahead of them, so they left promptly at 9:30 p.m. -- and that was the of our jam! Before it was all over, though, we coaxed Jenny's last fiddle student to play a few tunes along with us. Susan played two songs with us and did great! She had never played with anyone else before.

One of our distributors accidentally sent us 50 of the wrong cases. We had boxes sitting in the main showroom yesterday and today until I got the mess straightened out. Nothing like having five huge cardboard boxes sitting in the middle of the floor taking up space. We struck a deal with the distributor, and now we will be running a special on ugly fiddle cases. If you would be interested in an ugly but functional fiddle case, let me know!

Not having any children of my own, I really don't know how parents keep from talking about their kids all the time. I am so proud of everyone I teach, I feel like I can't keep my mouth shut! I guess it comes from knowing what all the difficulties are for each person, and realizing all their tiny goals (in others' eyes) are really huge successes. This is why I love teaching. I know everyone can do it, and it is so exciting when THEY finally realize it.

Tomorrow I hope to do some shop work. I have several fiddles to finish for customers, and a guitar to do some rib work on.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello chris, I REALLY like the new webpage you built. The photos of the books came out nice. If I may give one observation, on that page as well as your main page, maybe pick out a nice backround color like this blog has. It seems to be a bit...........black and white..if that makes any sense. Just my one cent worth! :) have a great day. James