Monday, January 7, 2008

Eureka Festival

We attended a great bluegrass festival put on by MABC this weekend in Eureka, Missouri. We were set up in the vendor room, and I had the chance to talk to so many people that I usually wouldn't get to. It's always fun because I get to answer questions, jam, listen to lots of other musicians, and help others. Jim and Ruby from Lake St. Louis were two such people that I talked to over the weekend. Jim had some questions about his guitar strumming, and we spent some time talking about it. He was kind enough to send me this e-mail today:
This past week-end I talked with you about my rhythm on guitar and how a teacher had taught me the boom-chic-chic-chic for the 4/4 time and I just didn't get it and didn't like the sound. As I explained to you I have no problem with my 3/4 timing boom-chic-chic which I use a lot.
You took the time and effort to show me and my wife how it should be boom-chic-boom-chic for my timing for bluegrass music. When I got home that night I tried this as I was shown slow and easy. During the day Sunday I continued to work on this and then it clicked. I didn't only hear the beat but felt it. I learned more in my 15 minutes with you then I did with 6-mo's of lessons. I wanted to take the time to share this with you and say thanks as I was almost to the point of giving up on my 4/4 timing for bluegrass. Jim & Ruby

No comments: