Saturday, June 9, 2007

Still Here!

Well, it's been a while since I've been able to post here. I'm so happy that we're busy, but it does make it hard to get blog entries in!

Yesterday, we had about 10 people in the shop at once. Carie and I were working in the shop, each doing something different, when everyone decided to come visit The Bluegrass Shack. I guess it was fiddle day! I did four fiddle setups while customers watched. I forget how fascinating some of this stuff is because I do it everyday. People like to watch me set soundposts because it has to be done through the f-holes in the top of the fiddle. It used to take me 3 hours to set a soundpost! It was so frustrating learning how to do it. Now it takes only a minute or two.

Carie was working on the neck of her bass. It is one of those Chinese basses with the really thick necks. I was showing her what to do to thin out the neck, and she was working very hard to get it done. Carie will be over again today to finish up the job. It will be very nice when she's done! Carie said it took her four hours to take 1/2" of thickness off the neck, so you've got to have a lot of patience to do this!

I finally finished the neck reset on the old archtop guitar. The customer came by to pick it up same day, too. It wasn't anything expensive, but I just loved the pickguard. It was a thick, plastic tortoiseshell-look pickguard with a rhinestone treble clef inlaid into it. I've never seen another one like it, but I'm sure there are more. I guess I'll always have my favorites.

I've got a ton of work to get done today, so I'm going to end it here, but I'll try to get back again sooner and post the happenings here.

No comments: