Thursday, May 13, 2010

Student Update

The end of school is drawing near, and I have my final guitar class at St. Agatha School on Wednesday.  We will be giving a concert for the school and parents, and I will be passing out awards to the students for completing different skills and songs.  The upper class is 3rd through 8th grade.  I will be bringing in my banjo and we are going to flatpick and play Duelin' Banjos, I'll Fly Away and Bile Them Cabbage Down together.  The lower class is K through 2nd grade.  We will be playing Kookaburra and One Little Indian, and we will be picking Bile Them Cabbage.  I think both classes have made a lot of progress over the course of the year.

The Pickin' Chicks and Charlie & the Girls are nearing their last rehearsals for the Silver Dollar City Youth in Bluegrass Competition.  We are all so excited!   Both groups had phenominal practices this week, too.  I used my video recorder to record the rehearsals, and I had both groups practice with the single mic while I recorded the performance.  This allows me to watch the performances again to pick up on things I might not have picked up on the first time.  It also allows me to hear if the harmonies are equal as they are coming through the microphone.  It's actually a lot of fun to watch the performances!  Our goal for both groups is for them to play as well as they are able.  Of course, it's always fun to win, too!

No comments: