Monday, May 3, 2010

Monday's Instructional Jam

We had special visitors in tonight's instructional jam.  Stan and Abby came from McLeansboro to join us.  Stan used to play with Meryl Haggard, but it is not something that I mentioned, so I know not everyone knew.  The music was very good.  Stan sang The Tennessee Stud.  I have always liked that song.  Since this particular group is the more advanced of the two groups, it was a good exercise in learning to follow songs that we haven't done before.  Charlie sang a new song tonight, too.  It was in the key of F, so we really got some good practice in.  Some of the songs that we played tonight include Pig in a Pen, Worried Man Blues, Rolling in my Sweet Baby's Arms, I Saw the Light, Foggy Mountain Breakdown, Grandfather's Clock, Think of What You've Done, Shady Grove, Somebody Touched Me, I'll Fly Away, and Train 45.

Charlie & the Girls are going to compete in Branson in a couple of weeks, so we took some time out for them to go through two of the songs that they will be playing there.  I had them set up just like they would be playing in Branson, complete with the single microphone.  They did a fantastic job, and it will only get better between now and Memorial Day weekend (when the contest will be held).

No comments: