Friday, July 11, 2008

Riley Baker Banjo - Old and Cool!

I was going through some of my pictures of interesting instruments and accessories and ran across some stuff I thought everyone would be interested in.

This first set of pictures shows a Riley Baker banjo and case. It is a British-made banjo from the late 1890's. I don't know a lot about the banjo, nor could I find much on the internet, but this particular banjo was in great shape and I was able to play it, too! I don't know if J. Gravity still owns the banjo, but he was kind enough to let me see and play it when I was in his store several years ago.

Some interesting things to note about this banjo would be its all-aluminum construction, and five tuning pegs on the peghead. Click on the photo to enlarge the front view of the peghead. You will be able to see the 5th string enter a tunnel in the peghead of the banjo. So it would appear that Scott Vestal's Stealth banjo was not the first to use a tunnel for the 5th string. Kind of amazing to think that this was a design from the 1800's, huh?









2 comments:

Unknown said...

I got the same banjo at an auction in St Andrews Scotland. I was told that the neck was made of pewter but I think it is also aluminium. I have its origional case but it is in very bad shape. The banjo is fine though.

http://www.modern-guitars.co.uk said...

I too have recently bought a Riley Baker from a house sale in Bournemouth U.K. would be interested in chatting to others who have Riley Bakers.