Monday, November 5, 2007

Major Violin Pegbox Repair

I haven't written anything lately about repairs, so I thought this would be a good time to do it. I started in on a HUGE project yesterday. I received for repair a fiddle that had the entire pegbox completely broken off. The customer would like to keep the original neck and scroll, or replace with one of the same model (1920's Nippon).

After waiting for almost a year to get in another Nippon with a bad body, I finally gave up waiting and decided to try to repair the existing parts. I started by removing the old glue and nails (yikes!) that were used by the customer to try to fix this. There was some J.B. Weld and Gorilla glue both that had to be removed.

Next, I started removing some of the pegbox and some of the neck in the area where these two pieces fit together. I will gradually rebuild these parts with maple (the original wood) in a way that will overlap both pieces on both sides of the pegbox.

Finally, I will have to remove the excess wood and carve it to match the existing neck and pegbox. I have posted a few pictures below to show the original condition and also the first step in rebuilding. It is kind of hard to see past all those clamps!


No comments: