Monday, November 12, 2007

Great Time in Springfield!

We all had a great time at the bluegrass festival in Springfield, IL this weekend. We were as busy as busy can be, but I think we still managed to do all the things we wanted to do. Chelsea was a big help to us. We couldn't have done it without her!

We setup Friday around 4:30 p.m., and people were already coming in droves to check out the vendors. Chelsea helped me pack a "repair bag," and I did so many small repairs and setups over the weekend that I can't count them all!

I taught two workshops on Saturday -- a fiddle workshop and a banjo workshop. They both went very well. It is so much fun to help people who really want to learn to play an instrument. I can't wait to talk with these folks next year to hear about the progress they've made. Hopefully, they will all still be picking and have some good stories to tell.

Zach Hardesty caught me in the elevator Saturday morning and asked me to play guitar with him for the talent contest. We found a bass player while we were upstairs rehearsing. Zach played How Great Thou Art and Shuckin' the Corn on his banjo. He did so well! What a talented young man he is.

The excitement for the weekend was probably when there was a coal dust explosion at the nearby power plant. We didn't notice it too much in the vendor room. Only a blink in the lights told us there was anything at all wrong. Then people started coming in telling us how bad it smelled outside, how many restaurants were without power, and that all the Springfield Fire Company was at the fire. They had to call in all the surrounding small fire companies to man the Springfield Firehouse. When we went to dinner at midnight, about half of the restaurants were still closed. We ate at a packed Denny's restaurant.

I'll post some more stories and pictures later when I get a chance. I just wanted to let you know what a great time we had!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful meeting you in Springfield! I'm so glad we decided to stop by; something was really guiding us there. I e-mailed pictures of Ellie...let me know if they didn't come through. I'm sure she will have a lifetime of joy playing. Thank you so much for facilitating that!