Monday, December 15, 2008

The Bluegrass Shack Christmas Party!!!!

WOW! What a great time we had! If you weren't there, you missed food, fellowship and music with about 200 people. It was absolutely amazing.

Before I get started on any details, I want to thank Father Nall and the parish of St. Agatha Catholic Church for letting us use their new multi-purpose building. We set out a donation can at the party and collected almost $200 for the parish.

I think one of the things that pleased me most about the evening was seeing the group of boys from St. Agatha School get their guitars out and play along with all of the Christmas carols that we all sang. I printed out 20 copies of the Christmas carols that had the chord changes on them so that anyone that wanted to could join us. Many of my other students, parents, grandparents and friends also joined us. It was so neat hearing banjos, guitars, fiddles, mandolins, a bass, and various small percussion instruments (thanks to Jessie!) play along with 100 or more singers!!!!

We had the largest group of fiddle players that we've ever had. I don't have any pictures of them yet, so hopefully someone will send me some. I think we had something like 20 players. It really sounded beautiful!

There was a surprise visit from Santa Claus. Even I didn't know he was coming! He brought candy canes for all of the boys and girls. Unfortunately, Denny (whose age we won't mention because he's over 30) had not been good this year and Santa brought him a stick...

We had so many attendance prizes to give out that I had to just draw 15 names at the end of the evening to give them all away. Earl had been running back and forth throughout the evening drawing names for me, so I think he was probably glad when I asked him to just bring me the entire container! The grand prize winner of the Bluegrass Shack gingerbread house was Bobby from Oakdale. Bobby's wife, Barbara, was actually on her way up to the front to take a picture of the gingerbread house before I gave it away when I called Bobby's name.

The food was incredible. I don't think I've seen such a spread ever! Imagine a potluck dinner with 100 food dishes! I'm surprised I didn't go into diabetic shock after the party. Nick was kind enough to bring soda and water for the entire group of people. Thank you, Nick! He also took the only pictures that I have right now. (So please send me yours so I can post more!!!!)

I can't say thank you enough to Becky for organizing all the food layouts, Denny, Verlan and Mike for helping load and unload everything, and the MANY MANY other people who pitched in helping me with every aspect. Even the clean-up went without a hitch. Kids and adults alike were sweeping, wiping tables, putting the chairs and tables back in order, clearing off tables, organizing the leftovers, etc.

It was such a wonderful evening. I praise the Lord for such good friends and fellowship! Here are some pictures that Nick took for me:








No comments: